Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Mall

Today I was transported in a time machine back to 1980. G-man and I went to the mall. I ran into a Mom friend at Aeropostle w/her daughter. I joked that we did not look like Aeropostle customers. I told her I grew up in this mall and it was funny to be shopping with my own kid. She looked at me quizzically, brows knit trying to puzzle how I was raised in a shopping mall. I explained having moved to the area as a kid, I spent a lot of my teen years cruising the very mall we were standing in. Funny how my (little) soon-to -be teeneger was all stylin' and chattin' with his peeps there between the flip flops and sweatshirts...and I would have been the same age as little tiny girl he was chattin' with- thinking back then I was all that and a bag of chips. These days I am not all that and I definitely ate the bag of chips! Time rolls on, does it not? Seeing the kids as they grow and remembering what it was like being certain ages gives me a lot of perspective, makes me try to respect the kids more or at least empathize-remembering how I felt at that age. Makes me feel very old now, but very glad to be the wiser...sooo glad I can be me and not shopping for perfection at the mall anymore. God bless our teens!

No comments:

Post a Comment